Advice & Suitability
If there is some important bit of safety advice, this could go here and/or general text about who it is suitable for etc etc. If it isn’t needed, just delete it.
- Cows in the Kitchen” story (see below for YouTube link)
- Kitchen utensils
- Instruments you have at home. (optional)
Clear a space big enough to dance in.
Download YouTube version of “Cows in the Kitchen” (optional)
Method (or Ideas)
- Go through your kitchen cupboards with your child and find things to make instruments with, or objects that make sound.
- Read or show online version of story to your child.
- Encourage your child to play on kitchen utensils with spoons or hands.
- Play some music and make your own beats.
- Sing favourite children’s songs while playing.
- Talk to your child about playing soft, slow, fast and loud
Facilitation Tips – What To Say
- Beat and rhythm
- Tempo: play fast/slow
- Dynamics: play softly/ loudly
- Compare the different sounds made by different containers/objects
Extend the Experience
- Make your own instrument out of a tissue box or cardboard roll.
- Explore patterns by hitting the kitchen percussion instruments in a particular order. You and your child may challenge each other to copy the pattern you make with the sounds
WHO Guidelines for Physical Activity & Sedentary Behaviour
You could add some physical activity by moving while playing the instruments!
Early Years Learning Framework
- Children express ideas and make meaning using a range of media
- Children engage with a range of texts and gain meaning from these texts
Principle 1: Secure, respectful and reciprocal relationships. Through a widening network of secure relationships, children develop confidence and feel respected and valued.
Practice: Learning through play. Play can expand children’s thinking and enhance their desire to know and to learn. In these ways play can promote positive dispositions towards learning. Children’s immersion in their play illustrates how play enables them to simply enjoy being.
Listen to the song – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YepDvNwFlGs