Puzzles can be very entertaining for older babies. They also help in the development of hand-eye coordination, finger muscle control, shape recognition and problem solving skills.
- Use simple puzzles that involve shape and colour.
- Puzzles pieces with knobs make it easier for little hands.
- Puzzles with only a few pieces are most suitable for babies.
- You can make your own jigsaw puzzles by using large pictures from magazines, calendars, or even a favourite photo. Simply laminate the picture and mount it on some card. Cut into a few pieces and glue on some cotton reels or champagne corks for handles. As your baby develops you can make more complex puzzles by cutting into more pieces.
- There may be some large floor puzzles at your local toy store.